Invisalign® helps teens and adults have beautiful, straight teeth without the need for traditional metal or ceramic braces. NuSmile Dental Center is a top Invisalign® provider in Cosa Mesa, CA, offering patients the most innovative treatment programs for faster results and less discomfort compared to traditional braces.
Invisalign® Q & A
What is Invisalign®?
Invisalign® is an innovative orthodontic system that uses clear plastic aligners, special trays that fit snugly over the teeth, instead of wires and brackets to move teeth into alignment. Each patient receives a series of custom-fit aligners that are worn in a specific sequence to move teeth into their proper positions over time.
What happens during Invisalign® treatment?
Invisalign® treatment begins with impressions of the teeth. These impressions are sent to the lab where the aligners are created. The impressions are scanned into a computer that uses special computer-aided design software to create a series of three-dimensional models that show how the teeth need to move to become aligned. Then, those models are used to create the custom aligners using durable, medical-grade plastic. During treatment, each set of aligners is worn for about two weeks and then exchanged for the next set of aligners in the sequence. Most treatments take 18 months or less to complete.
How does Invisalign® compare to other type of orthodontic treatments?
Invisalign® offers many advantages over traditional braces:
- The aligners are clear, which means they’re virtually invisible while they’re being worn.
- The aligners are removable so they can be taken out when eating, which means there are no dietary restrictions.
- They can also be removed for brushing, flossing, and dental appointments so teeth and gums stay healthy throughout treatment.
- The aligners are smooth, which means there are no sharp wires or brackets to irritate cheeks or gums.
- Since they’re custom made for each patient, treatment typically can be completed much faster compared to treatment with traditional braces.
Can Invisalign® be used for all types of alignment issues?
Invisalign® can be used for overbites, underbites, crossbites and gaps between teeth. However, there are some instances where traditional braces are a better option. The initial consultation and examination will determine if Invisalign® is the best choice for your needs.
Is the cost of Invisalign® covered by insurance?
That depends on the specific insurance plan. Our office staff can determine how much coverage is provided and also help identify financing options to make the cost of Invisalign® treatment more affordable.